Re: Advantages of NVDA over narrator on public terminals

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

1, multi-language support, particularly in officially bylingual or culturally diverse regions.

2, ability to provide braille support built in particularly for the deaf-blind and considering low cost options such as orbit and brailleme.

3, Configuration options for custom apps that require extra overhead, although this is terrible design practice and should be avoided.

4, touch screen support for keosks that are touch based.

5, Frequent but optional updates to ensure stability, compatibility and performance.

6, Entities implementing NVDA in public spaces for accessible computing or terminal applications can and should pay something to support the development, but have the flexibility to choose when and how much.

That's what strikes me off the top of my head.

Hope this helps,

Erik

On October 21, 2018 1:32:23 AM "hurrikennyandopo ..." <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

I got asked this question about the advantages of NVDA over Narrator on public terminals where ever these may be...

I am talking about public terminals that the sighted can use where ever these may be. Places like libraries, information centres airports (where these terminals are) as well etcetera. The commercial screen readers are not in the picture because of price.

The question is below:

" My question to you is what advantages would it give our blind or visually impaired customers having both Windows 10 Narrator and NVDA available to use on public computers? I would be interested in supporting installing it at if there were advantages and we could work thru any technical issues. Let me know what you think".

This same question could also come up at any IT department that is approached to install NVDA to a public terminal (where ever these may be). The above is used as an example.

I am guessing that for any technical information - that could be pointed towards the developers of the NVDA project.

They could be using a windows 7 machine right up to Windows 10.

Looking forward to your feedback on advantages of NVDA over Narrator. Thanks everyone.

Gene NZ