toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
It isn't a case of experimenting or not
experimenting. Backing up the folder so you could replace it with the
original should be done if you are ever going to experiment in this way.
or, you could have the installer create a portable version and experiment with
that. Dictionary files can, and should, be backed up regardless of whether
you experiment with NVDA. They should be backed up just as any files you
don't want to lose should be backed up.
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:44 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] espeak issue fixed
I just did this and succeeded in screwing up my copy of NVDA. I copied in the
"Espeak Data" folder as was suggested, and suddenly everything NVDA was saying
was incomprehensible to me. I tried to undo what I'd done. All I ended up with
was silence. Horrible, horrible, unbroken silence. With sighted help, I did a
system restore, which accomplished nothing, then had to resort to using a
portable copy of NVDA which I hadn't updated since 2015.2, uninstalling NVDA
from my computer, reinstalling it from the portable copy and updating it back to
2016.2. I've probably lost a few dictionary entries and I'm right back where I
started, but I infinitely prefer speech with a few squished syllables to no NVDA
at all. Did I mention after I tried undo NVDA wouldn't even start, probably
because it's default synth had been stuffed around with? Oh yeah, it did
I am never, ever messing with my screen readers data files
On 4/06/2016 7:21 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Ok here is a solution to the espeak issue.
will go on the skype group as well
Anyway, testing looks as if its the espeakdata itself either the phonem or
the actual synth data.
What I did.
While I was not able to find
previous releases of 2016-2015 in compiled form I was able to find via
sourceforge 2014.4 and this had espeak in it.
I coppied over the
espeakdata folder over itself in nvda program folder.
While this will have
to be done for just about every coppy it does mean that while espeak will
remain the new ng with the voice as it is, the squished crap is at least back
I have not tried to override the espeak dll but the link has 2
folders synthdrivers which has the old espeak state from 2014.4 and the new ng
Anyway, it looks like its the data files rather than the driver
So if we can figure out what the hell is going on with this, then
it may be easier to fix than we first thought.
Now I didn't replace the
driver because although it has some harsh elements I wanted to see what this
Its fixed it such that the mangled squished elements are gone.
This file will remain up until at least we can fix it.
Aniother way is
to download the latest old espeak sapi and run it I have yet to see compiled
ng binaries for windows sapi, etc so till we see that and as long as
sourceforge keeps the depricated espeak project up we will be ok.
devs and such trying to solve this especially if you have access to the espeak
list which I have no desire to handle and since this may happen on multiple
platforms it seems to be the database itself or something in the database
causing the trouble currently faced.
I am unsure about what part of the
database is naff though, this will require some other beepstard to
I'd like to but I have never fiddled with this and pluss I
am not that interested.
For all users though this is one way out of the
current issue for now.
The buty of this is as long as we replace the data
we can still use the latest engine.
I will keep other units the same
however as it is not needed that we fiddle with our units like this but at
least for my own personal it will work.