Re: WIN 10 startup sound

Arlene

Sure. I know some people will like that.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: June-04-16 8:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] WIN 10 startup sound

Yep, but getting it to actually play is a bit more complicated than it used to be.

With the advent of Windows 8 a new feature called Fast Start is enabled by default.  When this is enabled shutting down your computer does not really shut down your computer but instead puts it into a modified version of hibernation where the full system state is stored in a hibernation file (hiberfile) but the user state (e.g., the programs you were running, etc.) is not included like it is in full hibernation.  So, when you restart a system that has been shut down using shut down you will not get the startup sound if Fast Start is enabled.  You will always get the startup sound when you do a Restart because, oddly, this forces a full shut down before automatically kicking off a system boot from scratch.

If you want to turn off Fast Start I believe I've already posted a step-by-step on how to do that in this forum or on one of the other blind and low-vision technology related forums and I can dig that up on request.