Re: Automatically converting EPUB to EPUB3

Antony Stone

So, if you're starting from ePub, which has only text, where do you get the
audio from, to "convert" this to ePub 3?

That sounds like more than just a conversion process to me - it's like saying
you can convert some (text) song lyrics into a karaoke file. Yes, there's
software you can use to do this, but it's way more than just a "conversion".

Antony.

On Friday 02 November 2018 at 18:12:43, Mallard wrote:

Travis,

epub3 is a special type of file, where you have audio and text that can
be synched, for instance, for dyslexic readers.

I guess that's the reason why one would want to convert epub's to epub3's.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 02/11/2018 16:43, Travis Siegel ha scritto:
I've never heard of epub3. If the files are already epub, why do you
need to convert them to anything else? Epub files are perfectly
accessible all by themselves.

But, to answer your question, as far as I know, it is relatively easy
to get calibre to convert to any format you like by default. Just set
the epub3 to your default format, then any file you copy into it's
startup folder will automaticlaly be converted into epub3. It's been
quite a while since I've played around with calibre, so I don't know
the exact steps for setting formats and automatic conversions and
such, but it is possible, and folks do this sort of thing all the time.

On 11/2/2018 3:49 AM, Sociohack AC wrote:
Hello group!
An NGO in my locality provides visually impaired people with free
newspapers in EPUB3 format. They use a software called Calibre to
download the newspaper and convert it to EPUB, it then has to be
converted to EPUB3. It is her they face difficulty, they have to do
it manually and they don't have the adequate staff. Can this process
be automated? Can EPUB files be converted to EPUB 3 automatically?

All suggestion and shared experiences are welcome.
--
This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.