Re: NVDA and ribbon menues

Ron Canazzi

I don't complain about the ribbons any more because it usually creates such an intense and useless discussion that the moderator goes off on me and I almost get mad enough to say something that will get me banned permanently.

On 11/2/2018 7:19 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Um, "people are more likely to complain if they dislike something"...

Well, of course - you wouldn't expect them to complain if they like it, would
you?

Antony.

On Saturday 03 November 2018 at 00:14:34, Gene wrote:

If they are so hated, then see the following discussion and account for the
fact that I read perhaps thirty messages in the thread and no one objects
to ribbons. Microsoft is changing the design of ribbons in the Office
Suite. They are simplifying them in some way. In this discussion, some
people don't like the change, some people think it should be optional and
some people like it. But in all the messages I read, not one person
objected to ribbons themselves.

Also, people are more likely to complain if they dislike something. Of
course some people don't like ribbons, but your sample, some friends or
people you know, isn't eeven remotely a proper survey from which to draw
such conclusions.

I assume by saying it is hated, and it was hated that you mean most people
hate ribbons. That is not a properly supported statement.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365/Outlook-365-Ribbon-etc/t
d-p/267706

Also, a lot of other programs are nowhere nearly as complex as the programs
in the Office Suite. So, since people don't like change and since there
isn't much benefit to switching to ribbons this wasn't done. You don't
know what might have happened if most programs were this complex. The
ribbon allows the user to see a lot more items much more quickly and
efficiently. So your argument about other programs not adopting ribbons
is not properly supported as to why this is the case. More simple
programs don't benefit and why change something when there is no benefit
are much better explanations than a putative universal or nearly universal
hatred of ribbons.

I'm saying they are much better explanations without proper evidence
supporting any conclusion. If you can find proper good supporting
evidence for your assertion, that's different but as of now, your
statements are unsupported and appear to be incorrect.