Re: first read all - then react - nvda list has become a chatter group

Gene

These are my thoughts as moderator.  The owner is the ultimate authority and he may wish to comment.

The list has been run in this way, regarding traffic, long before I became moderator.  That doesn't mean it has to be but it may be the best of various imperfect possibilities. 

If you moderate too tightly, you may harm a sense of community that, one hopes, develops on good lists.  And at times, it has been my observation, that even if a thread drifts, useful information may be sent and you never know when that might happen as a result of the drift so I tend not to regulate it much.  If something is really offtopic, I may do so but I find that in such cases, the thread often stops by itself very quickly.

Also, even when a moderator makes suggestions such as to change subject lines if a thread drifts too far, these generally aren't followed in my experience with this and other lists. 

As a practical matter, I'll discuss ways of managing mail so people may deal with what they don't want to read much more efficiently than they may be doing. 

Reading the first message or two in a thread to see if you are interested is one way.  Of course, you can do this on a day when the list is particularly busy or on days when there are long threads you may or may not be interested in.  You can read mail by conversation, which involves setting your e-mail program to show all messages with a certain subject line in a group.  You can skip all in a group and you don't have to down arrow through them all to do so.  The conversations are organized in a tree view so you can open one conversation, read what you want, then close it and delete the entire conversation at one time. 

I haven't done the following so I don't know what happens if you follow the link but each message has a mute thread link in the footers at the bottom of the message.  You can follow this link and the thread will either be muted, you won't receive any more messages in it, or you will be taken to a page where you do something to mute it.  As I said, I don't know which. 

These suggestions, or some of them, may help those who want to manage messages.

Gene, Moderator

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2018 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] first read all - then react - nvda list has become a chatter group

In that case perhaps a moderator could put up a sticky topic reminding people not to go off-topic?
> On 3 Nov 2018, at 12:39, Christian Schoepplein <chris@...> wrote:
>
> Hej,
>
>> On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 04:26:26 -0700, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
>> People who feel annoyed being bombarded by emails from this group
>> can always set there preferences two no email.
>
> Ofcourse this is a way to deal with the problem, but its the wrong way IMHO. In this list there are so many off topic messages about things that are not related to NVDA and this has to be minimized to get back to the real topic of this list.
>
> Cheers,
>
>  Schoepp
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.