Re: Learning coding with NVDA

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

In general, it's not the learning of the language that's an issue when using NVDA, it's finding tools that work tow rite/compile/debug your code that is the problem.  I almost always use a standard text editor when writing code, even if there is an IDE for any particular language, mostly because their IDE looks good for sighted folks, but stinks for screen reader users, so I simply ignore any IDE offerings, and write my code in an editor of my choice, then call the command line compilers to reduce my code to something recognizable by the computer.  Sometimes, this isn't possible, such as when there's frameworks (as in OSX), or special compiler configurations required (as when using visual C from microsoft), but in general, using a text editor and calling the external command line editors on my code is how I program, and it's worked for me for about 30 years, so I'm sticking with it.
You can learn any language you like, but that's only half the battle, you still need to learn to use the tools required to turn that language into something the computer understands, and that's a whole 'nother learning curve.