Re: DELETING MULTIPLE E-MAILS IN GMAIL

What I don't get is why you'd ever delete anything from anywhere other than "All Mail" (the archive).   If you are archiving absolutely everything then deleting from the inbox will never delete anything in reality, as you've found, as what's deleted will still have presence in the archive.  Anything in Gmail that has two labels on it isn't going away.  Only stuff with the trash label that's been assigned that label for 30 days will be deleted "naturally."

You can, of course, do manual purges, too, but I don't understand why one would do that other than from All Mail.

I don't generally archive anything.  If it's to be kept it sits in Inbox and I can easily find it via a search.  But, to each his or her own.