Re: DELETING MULTIPLE E-MAILS IN GMAIL

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  How is this gmail account set up.  What I'm asking is this a true gmail account, or has this account been set up through an individual host.  This is where a web site is set up. with the name starting with mail which is using gmail.  If this is the case, then the information is not the right of gmail and you don't make your log in to gmail but the site that has been set up somewhere else.  The email will still go through the gmail web site, and you can still use a separate mail program.  This procedure goes back to the Unix programming language days withe .mail profile.

Dave

the unix

On 11/9/2018 8:06 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

           Whether access is POP or IMAP, insofar as how Gmail handles Trash, is irrelevant.  You are correct that when you delete a message it gets moved to Trash (which is the rough equivalent of the Windows recycle bin, since you can restore from it) and if it remains there for more than 30 days it is permanently deleted.

            As far as I know there is no storage limit on Gmail.  Now, on Google Drive if you use the free version you get 15GB of storage, but that's not true of Gmail.  One of its early marketing claims was that "you'd never have to delete an e-mail message".  On my oldest account I have over 9K messages, all read, and many of which should be deleted, but with no sign of any limit indicated, ever.  A great many of those have attachments, too.

            Also, the same account can be set up for both POP and IMAP access, so heaven knows how Google handles that if someone does it behind the scenes.  My original Gmail account, which was created in 2008, has POP enabled for all messages (even those downloaded before) from September 2008.  I have never used POP access, though, since IMAP is enabled as well and when I have used e-mail clients I have always used IMAP access since I want everything to be kept in sync regardless of how or where it's accessed.