Re: wonder vs. wander

Sarah k Alawami

Our choir director got on our cases as we all tended to sing "wonder" instead of wander. So "I wonder as I wanter" became, well, a mess. And I often tend to say "wander" as "wonder" and even in braille I would mis read it as "wand der" "short a as in and" My British accent tends to get in the way when I sing so yeah there you go.

On 18 Nov 2018, at 10:22, Gene wrote:

A pertinent question is why wander is incorrectly used.  Is it because those who do so don't read Braille, were blind since birth and didn't learn to spell well because they didn't read words?  And, further, does the accent spoken where people live who make this mistake contribute to it?  Is wonder spoken more like wander in those regions?

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 11:40 AM
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to
see so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time
to see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at
things, and simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're
curious about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the
universe and everything, but if you wander about such things, you may
never find your way back to your back yard, having being swept off into
galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.