Re: autocorrect in Word 365

Quentin Christensen

Hi Giles,

It looks like there are a couple of issues here:

1) Emoji not reading properly.  I wonder if that is related to this issue: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/8782 which would explain the emoji being read as a number.  It looks like there has been some work done on that issue, but it still needs a little more attention before going into Alpha builds.

The other issue is that of Word replacing :) with a smiley emoticon: 😊 - rather than adding an exception in to auto-correct, you should be able to delete the existing auto-correction:

alt+f, t for Options
control+tab twice to "Proofing"
alt+a for "Autocorrect options"
down arrow to the smiley options, :(, :-(, etc.
Pick any and press alt+d to delete

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 6:58 AM Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I occasionally use smiley face and winking smiley face, :) and ;) respectively, but when I do in Word it automatically converts them to what NVDA says is “12” (that's what I hear and that's what the speech viewer says). It does this for both versions of the smiley.
I have just added :) and ;) into the exceptions of the autocorect options and it is not making any difference.

I do use the NVDA emoticons addin so am confused why I am hearing the number 12 rather than the type of face. Also, I'm a bit of a gek for old school ascii emoticons so would prefer to stick to them being a colon and a right parenthesis rather than a graphical smiley face.

I'm using the latest NVDA, Windows 10 and Office 365

Grateful for any suggestions :)

Giles

--
Quentin Christensen