Re: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah. When I was learning braille and had to type in print I tried to type their and could not spell it as I had learned dot 4 5 6 t h e. And not t h e i r. No one ever taught me how to spell and it hurts me 30 odd years later. Story of my younger life eh?

Take care

On 19 Nov 2018, at 8:22, Joshua Crary wrote:

Some people who are low vision and do not visually see spelling develop poor spelling skills over time, as we do not have the visual reminder on daily basis on how to spell something correctly.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.

While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.

From: Rick

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick