This is why it is always best to keep braille around, uncontracted.

Who actually uses a screen reader to see how things are spelled? It is so much easier to glance (sorry, with our fingers) down at a braille display, see that their (as belonging) is T H E I R. Rather than spelling it T H E R E because that's how it sounds.

But, then there is the other argument that grade 2 braille teaches us the opposite, so who knows. I know my spelling deteriorated when I stopped reading braille books and switched to audio.

On 2018-11-19 12:45 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
To be honest, we spell how we speak.

I don't say the t in capture or capcha, I know it exists but I don't speak it.

Usually if one does not know how a word is spelt he will go how he speaks it because it sounds fine enough.

On 11/20/2018 7:30 AM, Kwork wrote:
The only spelling anomaly common among blind people that really annoys me to no end is misspelling captcha as capture. Bad enough in everyday use, but worse when we're filling out support tickets on websites and professional emails, and asking companies to make their "captures" accessible. Um, no. The form that includes an unsolvable by screenreader image verification is called captcha. c, a, p, t, c, h, a.

On 11/19/2018 9:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I usually don't spell-check messages.  I read them before I send them to check for words that sound misspelled but also to make sure what I wrote is clear, accurate, such as commands given during describing a procedure, and not clumsily worded.  I may start spellchecking them as well but my main concern on e-mail lists is not to have spelling errors that are more than minor and to have clear writing and accuracy.  Rereading before sending is important in all those respects.

*From:* Rick <mailto:softwarethatworks@gmail.com>
**
*Gene*