Re: Polytonic Greek on Braille Displays

Eleni Vamvakari

No. I cannot borrow any of these displays. The Pacmate is being sold on Ebay.

On 21/11/2018, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org> wrote:
Hi Eleni,

Can you borrow the Pac mate display and try the Koine table? If it isn't
satisfactory your best recourse is the liblouis
list. They are very helpful and are interested in getting more tables.

John

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:24:46AM -0500, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
I have both 2017.3 and 2018.3. What I don't understand is this. From
what I have read, there are two Greek braille codes. The one used in
Greece has no accents, so it would be of no use to me. The one which
does is called International Greek. What I don't know is if the one
which is called Koine in NVDA is that one or something else. I don't
know anything about Coptic.

On 21/11/2018, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org> wrote:
Do you actually have NVDA 2018.3? Not 7? That comes with liblouis
3.6.0.
There will be a new liblouis release soon.
Recently there has been discussion on the liblouis list about a Coptic
table. You may need a table for your version of
Greek. If you join the liblouis list you can get help writing such a
table.

John

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 10:28:14PM -0500, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
Hello,

I am considering buying a braille display. Right now, I have three
options, considering my price range. These are a Pacmate, an Orbit
Reader 20 (which I don't really want, as it lacks cursor-routing
buttons), a Braillino, and a Braille Me. The Orbit or Braille Me
would be new. The Pacmate is an Omni that works well, though I don't
know its age. The Braillino is two-years-old and in great condition.
While I may occasionally use the display on its own, I will mostly be
using this with NVDA to read the screen, though not as my primary
means, since I have speech for that.

But before I ask any further questions, I must know this, or there is
no point in continuing. Can NVDA handle polytonic Greek in braille.
I see that there is a Koine and a Greek (Greece) braille table. I am
learning Katharevousa, which, like Koine, uses all three accents and
two breathing marks. I have NVDA 2017.3 for XP and the latest version
for Windows 7. While I have reached an intermediate level with speech
alone, I think that having the letters in front of me would be
extremely helpful. But I must know that they will be displayed
correctly. Finally, can it read Latin, including the macrons? Can
any of these displays read either of these correctly on their own?

As for the displays themselves, which works the best with NVDA? What
are the major differences between these? Note that I don't use
bluetooth or sd cards, so those are not deciding factors for me. For
what it's worth, my only experience with braille displays has been
with a Braille Lite 2000 and a BrailleNote Classic, which I haven't
used since 2006.

Thank you,
Eleni

--