Re: A random question, related to screen readers in general

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

and yet, my experience is much the opposite. Braille displays are partially funded by the government here, and many people have them. I have one, because I am a programming student, but even before that, I had a mobile Braille display. I can't really use braille and speech effectively, so I am in the habit of turning off the speech when my Braille display is connected, and just reading. Reading Braille is slower for me than listening, but it's much more accurate.

if I had to pay for it all on my own, I doubt I would be able to afford it, but since I have access, I have it and I use it.

consider that the cost of Braille displays is falling sharply. In 2007, the cost of a 40 cell Braille display was approximately $7,200 Canadian. Today the cost of a 40 cell Braille display is approximately $3,500 Canadian. In 2008, there were only two real microbe braille displays that I can think of. Today, there are at least 10 or 15 displays available, in the 20 cells and under form factor. Some of them cost as little as 6 or $800. Compare the cost of a braille knee at $650 Canadian to the cost of the classic Perkins brailler at $1,300 Canadian, and clearly, brailleme me comes out on top as the new learning tool for Braille.

The pundits who fear Braille because it makes them look or act blind, are losing the price argument. Braille is becoming more affordable by the day, and I think it will make a serious come back. You cannot tell a person that they need to go through life illiterate, it just isn't right.

On November 26, 2018 5:03:46 AM "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Of course like many surveys, it is just a result of those who did the
survey. I strongly suspect out of the general users the percentage is a lot
lower than this.
I have many friends who are nvda users not one of them has a Braille
display, and only a handful can read the code in any case.
I certainly cannot justify buying one. I can see how for many functions it
would be useful if you can read it, such as programming etc, but for general
use on an everyday basis by somebody just using applications, email and some
shopping or social media, much of the latter now done on mobiles, then
really its not needed.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.