Re: ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

Sarah k Alawami

Yuck! Don't remind me of IPA. I took a class in ita while ago I used a different keyboard that handled unicode utf8 and read char by char, but yeah. you are right, somethingn don't read well, if at all. I wish you luck in your IPA class.

On 26 Nov 2018, at 7:53, Brian Vogel wrote:

enes,

         What font are they using for the IPA?  There was a recent discussion of this in the JAWS group, Jaws and International Phonetic Alphabet.

          There are a limited number of IPA fonts that have the capability of being read character-by-character, which is what would be needed here.  It should be up to the instructor, to make sure that material is supplied in accessible format.  If the material is really, really extensive I have to say that it is sometimes easier to have a human reader, but not always.  It's always messy with the IPA since the character names are long and, if you get into diacritics, it gets even messier.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back