Re: ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

enes sarıbaş

hi Brian,

This is for a morphology essay, and I am trying to find another Ph.D student to go over the examples with me, as many of them are written in IPA, and bracketed in foreign languages. I am trying to understand the matterial as best as I can without the examples.

On 11/26/2018 3:53 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
enes,

         What font are they using for the IPA?  There was a recent discussion of this in the JAWS group, Jaws and International Phonetic Alphabet.

          There are a limited number of IPA fonts that have the capability of being read character-by-character, which is what would be needed here.  It should be up to the instructor, to make sure that material is supplied in accessible format.  If the material is really, really extensive I have to say that it is sometimes easier to have a human reader, but not always.  It's always messy with the IPA since the character names are long and, if you get into diacritics, it gets even messier.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back