Re: ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

Sarah k Alawami

I took it for my singing class. It really does help with foreign languages or people who not speak. It is an amazing language and I hope to one day continue my studies in IPA

On 26 Nov 2018, at 11:16, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

So the concept is then, trying to put sounds into a writable form for a person who cannot see it in the first place. This sounds a bit like some kind comedy sketch from an old goon show.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

somethingn don't read well, if at all. I wish you luck in your IPA class.
And it's not really intended to be read, in the conventional sense of the word. It's the graphical representation of a sound sequence as close to "literally" as you can get it. When you "read" something in IPA you're not conventionally reading it like text but creating a sound stream of phonemes based on their IPA symbols. It's certainly nothing like reading any natural language that has a written form (sign language being one of the natural languages that has no written form, and there are others).

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back