Re: ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

Sarah k Alawami

We got challenged to IPA the alphabet as in the sound for a would be in my case a diphthong as that's how I myself say it. And b would be 2 sounds etc. It's actually quite interesting and helped me with my german when I was singing good luck with nvda and IPA. I never used it in windows.

On 26 Nov 2018, at 19:56, enes sarıbaş wrote:

so Brian, you are one of the few people who know what I got myself into then.  I think I can write the morphology assignment with no phonetics. Moreover, as I will do my thesis on pragmatics, I will not use more phonetics for the rest of my master. But I want to eventually learn the alphabet, as I want to do a doctorate in linguistics.

On 11/27/2018 1:44 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 02:16 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
So the concept is then, trying to put sounds into a writable form for a person who cannot see it in the first place. This sounds a bit like some kind comedy sketch from an old goon show.
Precisely.

I also don't know how to explain that we who see and are examining material in the IPA are not trying to read it, but are really using it to "sound it out."

As you're also a Brian, you know what our shared name sounds like.  It would be written in IPA so that linguists, or non-native speakers of a given language, can sound out how we pronounce it.  No one ever reads it character by character using the actual IPA character name, but using the sound (AKA phoneme) that the character represents.

The list that John Isige presented is not comprehensive, either (and, John, that's not a swipe at you, it's just an observation).  A number of the common vowel digraphs of English are missing.

All of this takes me back to when I was studying speech and language pathology for my master's and put together a child-language checksheet for order of acquisition of various English phonemes, morphological markers, as well as interactional skills/communicative intents (among other things).

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back