Re: ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

enes sarıbaş

hi brian,
I did my undergrad in language teaching, and was exempt from the transcriptions, only just pronouncing the sounds directly, which seemed fair. However, I feel this might not have been a good idea, as  I am currently doing a masters at Cambridge, and can't get much out of the phonological theory course,  as even the instructor acknowledges that some theories, such as autosegment, or geometric phonology are visual. I definitely don't want to skimp on the understanding of the phonological theories  as a potential professor,  I don't want to have defesits in my knowledge of linguistics in any field.

On 11/28/2018 1:24 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
If you want my serious recommendation it would be to have a sit-down with your department head, and any other faculty in your program, and ask them their opinion as to a path through a linguistics degree, particularly an advanced one, without phonetic transcription being a big part of it.

I have to believe there is a path through, though I would imagine it would involve a specifically designed undergraduate path as well as a clear idea as to what your graduate focus will be and that it not involve phonetics (transcription directly, not an understanding of, which of course you'll have).

They are in a far better place to give you informed opinion, and the direct assistance with program design that you'll need, than I can.  There's nothing wrong with reasonable accommodations in academic pursuit, particularly if your desired area of specialty does not rely on an area of study that's not essential to it in any meaningful sense.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back