Re: ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:
Sofar as I can tell nobody who has commented on the thread since, has looked at this paper.
I did, when it was mentioned by someone else on the JAWS group, in a topic to which I gave the direct link.

There is a difference between possible to create a way for a screen reader to do a character by character IPA reading, and same being practical for extensive use.  Just because something can be done, and indeed it seems has been done, doesn't make it good advice to say, "Hey, this is a reasonable area to try to delve into with circumstances being what they are."

I would not discourage anyone who's blind from the study of phonetics, which is entirely possible without ever doing a single character of phonetic transcription (which is a poor substitute for actual recordings).  I would strongly discourage trying to delve into phonetic transcription, or the reading of same, due to the constraints I've mentioned previously.  Practicality does, and should, play a role.

The study of linguistics requires a knowledge of phonetics and phonetic theories.  It really doesn't require the ability to do phonetic transcription, nor even to read it well, as many ditch it after an introductory course if their chosen area really doesn't require it.

But, at this point, we've really strayed from even tangential relationship to NVDA in any meaningful sense.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back