Re: i'm new to this list and have a strange issue with NVDA on the windows log on screen

Jonathan COHN

Hello Molly and welcome to the NVDA list,

This might depend on your actual startup options. When full disk encryption is enabled on a computer, then the operating system is not fully running when the user name is being prompted for. I am more familiar with this on Macintosh computers, but I expect the same could be happening on Windows. So, even though a sighted person sees a login screen, not all the features available in the OS can be accessed until the startup disk key is enabled.

To test this, try logging out of your system and seeing if NVDA then prompts you for login credentials.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:17 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] i'm new to this list and have a strange issue with NVDA on the windows log on screen
Importance: Low

hey guys, my name is molly and this is my first time posting here. so i apologize if i type in the wrong email address and this message ends up somewhere else.
anyway, i have been using NVDA for 2 years and love it. i seem to be having a strange issue with NVDA not starting at the log on screen even though i've set NVDA to start at the log on screen. on my newly purchased surface laptop, i have NVDA set to start at the log on screen, where i need to enter my pin. i turn on the machine, and i have speech on the log on screen, asking me to sign in. but when i enter my pin, all i hear is it saying * * * the screen doesn't unlock. i also don't hear speech when i swipe around on the touchscreen. this indicates that the log on screen is loading before NVDA is, i end up having to use Narrator to log on. this is strange. do you guys have any ideas as to why this is happening? any suggestions would be most appreciated.
cheers
molly

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.