Re: A random question, related to screen readers in general

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Erik & List:

If you quoted the CNIB price for a Perkins Classic Brailler, you may find
the price they are sold by Howe Press, Perkins School for The Blind,
Watertown, MA USA is significantly cheaper even after converting their price
in US funds to Canadian Dollars. Seems the fewer hands these units pass
through, the cheaper the price. Howe Press are the makers. They offer
excellent delivery by Free Matter for The Blind from Watertown. I habitually
buy all accessories for my Brailler from them as they always have the items
in stock.
At one point, CNIB was selling Perkins Braillers for $1,200/each, the sum
Ontario Assistive Devices Program would pay for them, while Howe Press sold
them for $US800. Even after conversion to Canadian Dollars, I saved money,
CNIB was as usual at the time, out of stock, did not stock any accessories
such as the wooden case, Sound Pad Etc. Howe did, I had the unit in hand
within about a week. It is interesting how CNIB prices goods at the Maximum
Ontario ADP will pay. While CNIB has no shareholders to distribute profits
to, it does not prevent them reaping handsome profits. You can purchase
Braille paper from APH, Louisville, KY at a handsome savings over CNIB
prices. Uncertain as to why, CNIB pays postage on orders sent by mail,
despite the Literature for The Blind Post-Free concession covering
everything imaginable for the Blind, including Braille Press parts, paper
Braillers Etc. with Insurance and/or Registration at no fee. The concession
is available to any address in Canada, including addresses with fly-in only
mail delivery, for points in the High Arctic.
Similar concessions apply to Foreign addresses, with the restriction that
only documents, not merchandise,, may be sent registered. Allow 1-2 weeks
for delivery from APH by Free Matter.