Re: Introducing TextNav add-on - a better way to browse Internet

Gene

I have some comments on your demo for TextNav.  First, it isn't a substitute for learning the layout and structures of web pages.  If you use it before you know these things, you may not learn to deal with other than straight reading situations well.

Your claim that TextNav is thirteen times more efficient when reading the page you used is not correct.  it is thirteen times more efficient if you don't know how to work with internet pages for reading something like an article well, but you used a very inefficient method for your comparison.  You didn't start at the top of the page and use the skip blocks of links command, the letter n.  That gets you much much closer to the article text because it skips most of the material on this page before the article starts.  On some pages, move by heading works better.  On some, move by skip nnavigation works bettter.  on some, move by heading, then using skip navigation links works better.  On some, the find command works better.  You may not find an efficient way to work with a page until you experiment.  Once you do, you can use other article pages on that site the same way. 
I want to be clear.  I am not saying that the add-on isn't very useful in skipping to the first sentence of an article.  But you don't hear the author, you may not hear introductory material you might want to hear, and, if the article is more than two or three paragraphs, it would be exceedingly tedious to issue the move to next paragraph command repeatedly.  For a somewhat long news article or a somewhat long magazine article, I would imagine you might have to issue the command twenty or thirty or forty or more times.  The add-on needs an automated mode for straight reading uninterruptedly. 

And finally, your forum example demonstrates a real deficiency in the add-on.  It starts reading the text of the first post and skips all information about who wrote it or how old it is or any other information that might be of interest such as what rating the person has for reliability or what his credentials are.  Also, as you continue to read and even if you know when a second post is beginning to be read, you don't know who it is from.  You can't be sure all the time, I would think, who is commenting on comments for the first time or who is making comments after making other comments.  If the add-on is going to really be useful in such an environment, it needs to do more than just skip through entries by paragraph and not give you any information such as what I described.  I don't know if this can be done.  I don't know if a forums mode can be developed.  That is f o r u m, as discussion forum, not to be confused with what some people call forms mode in some browsers for filling out forms.

In short, the add-on has potential and I am not attempting to discourage its further development.  Critics mmay be your best friends in such situations.  But I think the add-on needs more work and refinement. 

and one last thing I forgot to mention earlier:
The crackling sound should be able to be turned on and off.  If I'm reading, I don't necessarily want to hear extraneous sounds that notify me of something when I am reading an article and am not interested in knowing such other information. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2018 6:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] Introducing TextNav add-on - a better way to browse Internet

Hello NVDA users

Today I am introducing TextNav add-on for NVDA - a better way to browse
Internet for the blind!

Have you ever felt that browsing new pages is frustrating when you
couldn't find the content on the page? Try TextNav - it will find the
right content for you in a single keystroke! TextNav is easy to use.
Listen to a quick demo (7minutes long audio):
https://soundcloud.com/user-977282820/textnav-promo

Here is the link to download TextNav:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/files/get.php?file=textnav

TextNav on github:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-text-nav/

TextNav keystrokes:
* Alt+Shift+Down: Find next paragraph with text.
* Alt+Shift+Up: Find previous paragraph with text.

I hope you enjoy it! Any suggestions are welcome!

Sincerely,
Tony Malykh

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.