From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Tyler Wood
Sent: December 1, 2018 4:37
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A random question, related to screen readers in general

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry - I'm just making sure I'm reading your message correctly.

Am I able to take advantage of free matter for the blind in Canada? Can I use this for sending things out of Canada or only receiving them and what specific items are included in that?

thank you so much for this information. CNIB does love to charge amazingly high prices for just about everything - and yet their services in pertinent areas, like mobility etc., suffers.
On 2018-12-01 2:07 a.m., Brian K. Lingard wrote:
Dear Erik & List:

If you quoted the CNIB price for a Perkins Classic Brailler, you may
find the price they are sold by Howe Press, Perkins School for The
Blind, Watertown, MA USA is significantly cheaper even after
converting their price in US funds to Canadian Dollars. Seems the
fewer hands these units pass through, the cheaper the price. Howe
Press is the makers. They offer excellent delivery by Free Matter for
The Blind from Watertown. I habitually buy all accessories for my
Brailler from them as they always have the items in stock.
At one point, CNIB was selling Perkins Braillers for $1,200/each, the
sum Ontario Assistive Devices Program would pay for them, while Howe
Press sold them for $US800. Even after conversion to Canadian Dollars,
I saved money, CNIB was as usual at the time, out of stock, did not
stock any accessories such as the wooden case, Sound Pad Etc. Howe
did, I had the unit in hand within about a week. It is interesting how
CNIB prices goods at the Maximum Ontario ADP will pay. While CNIB has
no shareholders to distribute profits to, it does not prevent them
reaping handsome profits. You can purchase Braille paper from APH,
Louisville, KY at a handsome savings over CNIB prices. Uncertain as to
why, CNIB pays postage on orders sent by mail, despite the Literature
for The Blind Post-Free concession covering everything imaginable for
the Blind, including Braille Press parts, paper Braillers Etc. with
Insurance and/or Registration at no fee. The concession is available
to any address in Canada, including addresses with fly-in only mail delivery, for points in the High Arctic.
Similar concessions apply to Foreign addresses, with the restriction
that only documents, not merchandise,, may be sent registered. Allow
1-2 weeks for delivery from APH by Free Matter.