Re: Introducing TextNav add-on - a better way to browse Internet

Dale Leavens

You just can’t leave it alone can you?

How long must this thread run after it is no longer expanding any understanding or value?

Is it really necessary to make your point over absolutely every post?

I realize all about the delete function and make liberal use of it.

Cheers!

Dale Leavens

On Dec 3, 2018, at 6:26 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I didn't say it would be generally harmful nor that anyone will stop using other navigation techniques.  I'm only talking about inexperienced users and I'm saying that claiming that this app will do ninety percent of what you want to do on the Internet may dissuade them from learning other things they should know.

I strongly disagree that you have to hype and oversell something in order to get people to use it.  I would use it except that I'm waiting for a read to end feature and I know exactly what it does because of your demonstration.  Experienced users know what it does and a lot of them will use it as well, unless they are waiting for something specific like a read to end feature.
When add-ons for Firefox and Chrome came out that are reading add-ons, many blind people were interested.

Many people oversell NVDA as well.  It isn't necessary.  Just describing the product or demonstrating it is more than convincing enough.  The same for this app.  If people weren't interested in the past, the cause was something else.  If your audio demonstration called it a reading app and you had demonstrated its use, that would have been just as effective.  And you could make statements such as, a lot of what people do on the Internet is read articles.  This app will save a lot of time and make this much easier and more convenient.  Then, you can demonstrate it, just as you did.

Sent: Monday, December 03, 2018 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Introducing TextNav add-on - a better way to browse Internet

Gene,
I think we have two main points of disagreement: the first being the
description of TextNav, and the second being whether TextNav will be
harmful in the long run since people will stop learning browse mode
commands.
1. Yes, you can call TextNav a reading add-on. I would even agree with
you, it is a reading add-on indeed. The other day Joseph Lee announced
TextNav as better paragraph navigation commands. He is right too.
However nobody would download and try using an add-on, that provides
better paragraph navigation. Nobody would be excited about a reading
add-on. That's why I call it the new way of browsing Internet. I'm
running a marketing campaign, I hope not that dirty. But I'm just
trying to attract some attention. Hopefully to everyone's benefit.
Nobody would have bought the first car in the world if this car was
advertised as a better horse carriage, even though that would've been
an accurate description for 19-th century person. Nobody would have
bought the first computer if it was called a better calculator. I hope
you see my point.
2.I don't have any new arguments here either. I think time will show
whether TextNav will end up being useful or detrimental for NVDA
community. I hope nobody would propose to delete TextNav in fear that
people would forget how to use browse mode commands. And I feel that
if not me, someone else would've eventually come up with this idea
anyway.

Best
Tony