Re: Ask about learning a new language using screen reader.

Angela Delicata

+1 to this: I have a degree in English as a second language here in Italy and can confirm what Joseph said.

Angela from Italy

Il 06/12/2018 15:04, Joseph Lee ha scritto:

Hi,
I can tell you one thing: a screen reader and synthesizer combination is not enough when it comes to learning a foreign language. This is more so for Chinese and Arabic where you need to study it hard and long. I myself didn't learn English through a computer (or through audio tapes) alone - I went through thousands of face-to-face conversations, along with dictionaries and immersing myself in English media (I am a native Korean speaker; what you hear in my tutorials is result of effort over the last twenty years or so).
When it comes to learning a foreign language, I recommend:
1. Don't rely solely on your computer alone.
2. Befriend someone who speaks the language(s) you wish to learn and have many face-to-face conversations.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rui Fontes
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Ask about learning a new language using screen reader.

Hello!

You have those languages in your Vocalizer Expressive...

Regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Às 04:46 de 06/12/2018, prem.translator@... escreveu:
Dear Listers,
For now, NVDA is the only one screen reader that I use. I'd like to
learn a new language which will be start next year. I have questions,
but first of all, here are my plans and / or conditions.
- I don't have braille display, so I can only learn by listening any
materials and reading anything using screen reader.
- I'm using NVDA with Windows 7.
- For now, I'm deciding to choose between Chinese and Arabic.
Here are my questions:
- What are the best synthesizers for both languages, it can be paid or
free synthesizer that can use with NVDA.
- Is it hard to learn typing in both languages? I mean, keyboard
layout, special symbol etc.
- Any suggestions about learning both languages are welcome.
Thank you.