Re: FW: [Nvda-devel] Add-on compatibility in NVDA 2019.1 and beyond.

Gene

There may be technical reasons that this is advisable, but I'm concerned that if add-ons do need to be updated often, people will be discouraged from creating them.  How much work is involved in updating an add-on?  If not much, that's one thing, if a good deal, many people may not want to take on an open-ended commitment requiring updates often over a considerable period of time.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2018 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] FW: [Nvda-devel] Add-on compatibility in NVDA 2019.1 and beyond.

Hey Joseph,

thanks for forwarding this. However, then we should start working to adjust the add-on webpage so that the date of last update for an add-on is shown. The users could then decide much better if they install that add-on or not. But in my view this warning is a bit exagerated because some add-ons which are really useful are not regularly maintained by their original developers (i.e. audio theme 3d or even remote add-on where we see big delays in updating it). If NV Access really want to discourage users to use add-ons which are not updated regularly, then I think we should think about integrating useful functions into NVDA’s core. I mean functions from add-ons which are not maintained reliably. Because an add-on which is not maintained regularly does not mean that the add-on is not used by many users. Vocalizer for example is also not maintained regularly but, at least in Germany, about 60% of users use that add-on also at work. They would never change to eSpeak.

That’s why I think a survey worldwide would give us an orientation of which add-ons are used most often and whe can see which are regularly maintained and which not. After assessing the survey data NV Access can decide to overtake the add-ons which are abandoned or not updated for a very long time and integrate similar functions in NVDA.

But in long term we have to find a sustainable solution. Some statistics on the add-ons webpage would make this much easier (i.e. number of downloads for an add-on, last update and so on).

Best

Adriani