Reading pdf files and line structure

Felix G.

Dear community,
with the accessibility of pdf files varying as it does, I tend to
avoid them, but sometimes information is just not easily gained
through different means, so from time to time I have to read one. Just
today I discovered that with NVDA and Acrobat Reader DC, there are no
meaningful line breaks presented to me as I read the contents of a
pdf. For example, a line might ramble on like this:
Chapter 1 Getting Started This chapter serves as introduction ...
For an experiment, I switched to JAWS and there was presented with the
correct line structure:
Chapter 1
Getting Started
This chapter serves as introduction ...

Is there anything I am missing to configure in NVDA to read pdfs as expected?
All the best,
Felix