my experience using NVDA with a touchscreen

molly the blind tech lover

Hey guys, Molly here again.

I wanted to share my experience using NVDA with a touchscreen.

So I have a Microsoft Surface tablet. It’s one of those pc’s where you can disconnect the keyboard from the touchscreen. I love touchscreen devices, so I was hoping to use it like an iPad. However, it soon became clear that there are far more keyboard commands for NVDA than touch gestures. You can do basic things like swipe and double tap, and even activate the NVDA menu by doing a 2 finger double tap. However, you can’t start NVDA using the touchscreen. For some reason I found myself getting stuck in a particular area of the screen and unable to get out of it. I don’t think there’s a touch gesture to close apps.  I also haven’t found a way to check the time and battery status using the touchscreen. Basically, if you just use the touchscreen, you won’t have a lot of the commands you would have using the keyboard.  I found that  connecting the keyboard is much more efficient. Even using Narrator with the touchscreen is hard sometimes. While I appreciate that NVDA supports touch gestures, I would still recommend for anyone to use a physical keyboard. I’m glad I purchased the keyboard. Sold separately, apparently.