Problem installing latest update

Janet Brandly

Hi Quentin,
Thanks for the response. I tried reinstalling the update and it failed again. I alt-tabbed periodically throughout the set-up process and the dialog didn’t show. I just got the
error message advising me that the installation had failed and to check the log viewer. Any other suggestions? If it would help, I could send you a copy of what the log viewer says. Another thing, I installed the update through the “check for updates” under the Help menu in the NVDA control panel.

Janet

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 3:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problem installing latest update

Hi Janet,

We'll need a bit more information to help you.  One of the most common reasons is that when you run the installer, it brings up a User Account Control (UAC) dialog.  The dialog warns that the program wants to make changes to your PC and you must accept it to continue.  That's a standard Windows warning when you install any software, but occasionally it appears behind other windows.  If the program is installing (the progress bar is beeping) but you haven't answered that dialog yet, try using ALT+TAB to find it (if it doesn't appear on top of everything, it often appears at the back, as in the last window in the list when you ALT+TAB).  If you don't respond to it within about 20 seconds, it will close and the install will fail.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 6:42 AM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:
Hello all, especially NVDA Support,

I’m having a problem with the latest update. It seemed to download OK after I got the prompt, but it wouldn’t install. It asked me to review the log view which I did, but it doesn’t make any sense to me. I looked for the software in my download folder to install it manually, but it wasn’t there. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jan

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.