Issue with focus mode in 2016.2

Jenine Stanley

Apologies in advance for the length of this post. I downloaded the latest version of NVDA the day it came out and began to notice right away that I was having a problem with focus mode when opening web pages.

My sistem is as follows:

Windows 7 latest updates
Web browsers: Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox

All of my other programs have no issues with NVDA.

Here’s what happens when I open a web page.

Nothing is announced until I alt-tab away from the page. then the title of the page is announced but the word “document” is after the title of the web page.

Focus mode appears to be on.

Here’s what I’ve done.

1. toggled Focus Mode with NVDA-space. with no effect and no speech or sound with each toggle
2. Hit escape several times with no speech, audio or change.
3. Made sure the numlock key was off, toggled it on and off again. This function spoke but had no effect on Focus Mode.
4. Left the web page and tried focus mode in another app, Outlook 2007, worked as normal.
5. Tried both browsers, same result, Focus Mode locked.
6. Updated Windows7, IE and Firefox. Restarted computer, no change.
7. downloaded and stalled a new version of NVDA over the old one. Restarted computer, no change.
8. Removed NVDA and reinstalled the version I’d downloaded, all mentioned versions are current btw. No change.
9. I even tried Window-Eyes to see if it was my computer. No, Window-Eyes worked fine on both browsers.

I then looked at the settings for browsers but didn’t understand several of them. I tried toggling them on/off and testing web pages but no change.

Any idea what’s going on here?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Jenine Stanley
dragonwalker64@gmail.com