Re: Problem installing latest update

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah, mine does not make any noise either, but I disabled it, and do every time I am on windows anything. I'm the only one who uses the computer and if I don't recognize something I stop it anyway.

On 18 Dec 2018, at 9:23, Travis Siegel wrote:

Lucky you. My windows does not play any sound when the UAC dialog appears. I don't know if previous versions of windows made such a sound, but my 8.1 and my win10 make no sound when the dialog shows up, it just blanks the screen, which I can see, because the scren goes dark, then after I press the alt-y (once or twice depending), then the screen gets light again, so that's the way I manage it. If I wait long enough, I believe it does speak the contents, but that takes so long, that by the time it starts talking, I could have been back to what I was doing already, so there's no point to wait for the speech.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018, Gene wrote:

In Windows 7, UAC always plays a sound when it comes up.  I would think that
would be the case in
Windows 10 as well.  Even if a screen-reader doesn't read it until you do
certain things to cause it to read, if you listen for the sound when you
begin to do something such as install something that is expected to cause
UAC to come up, that would, I would think, make things easier and faster.
If you hear the sound, you shouldn't have to do anything, whether your
screen-reader reads the dialog or not, except to issue the command alt y.  I
use NVDA on my Windows 7 machine as a portable program.  It can't read the
UAC command for technical reasons I won't go into here and don't completely
know.  But the sound plays every time.  I just answer alt y.

Gene
------ Original Message -----
From: Travis Siegel
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 7:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problem installing latest update

For what it's worth, I had to answer alt-y to the security dialog twice.
I don't know if it's because it didn't take the first time, or if it jut
needed two yes responses, but I suspect it's the first option, because
I've had that issue before.  I can't see much, but I can tell when the
security screen comes up, because it's dark, and the rest of my screens
are very light, so when it comes, I hit alt-y, and away it goes, but
perhaps I hit alt-y too early, so had to do it again, but that was the
only trouble I had installing NVDA 2018.4.  It was a bit slow at first,
until I closed VLC, after that, it rturned to normal response times.
Don't know if it's a result of it just being VLC, or if it was a result of
my having had that particular copy of VLC open for nearly a week on this
machine, and it was just being a resource hot at that point, but
regardless of the reason, it behaved normally after I closed it, so there
itis for what it's worth. I haven't tried reopening VLC just yet, as I'm
not ready to continue reading that particular book.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi Janet,
As Joseph asked, did you get the UAC dialog asking if you want to
allow
the
program to make changes to your PC?  If you aren't seeing the UAC
dialog,
or
aren't responding to it, that would generate a log like the one you
included.  See Joseph's message for a workaround.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Joseph Lee
<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
wrote:

       Hi,

       Hmmm, did you get any User Account Control prompt at
all?
       Sometimes, attempting an install after logging out and
back in
       resolves this and should give you a chance to say
“Yes” when UAC
       screen spears.

       Cheers,

       Joseph