Re: OT: Refresh firefox might have solved NVDA-lock-up issue

Ron Canazzi

Hi Jacob,

I also used this refresh Firefox link to get rid of some sort of hijack page that used to come up on the Free Football Radio page. That is to say that for some reason, on that page and that page only, when I tried accessing it, I got a weird semi-hijack page that wanted me to sign up for some sort of service. I can't remember what or even what the page was--as this was almost a year ago. My antivirus and anti malware programs showed clean.

I went to the Firefox support page and for the heck of it, I clicked on that refresh Firefox page and it worked like a charm. I have no such issues and it's been almost a year on that and any other pages. I recommend that approach for anyone having any issues with Firefox--even before you try an uninstall and reinstall of the program.

On 6/9/2016 10:49 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
While I know this isn't directly related to NVDA itself, among other things I was considering trying to roll back from latest v.46 of firefox, to a prior version of firefox, back to something like late-30's version number, just to see if that would help, but, came across the following page, which, if you load it in firefox itself, offers a form of utility link to refresh firefox to default settings, uninstall all extensions, etc. etc.:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

Now, I let that thing do it's thing, and while no more extensions/add-ons, like webvisum and f123 are now installed, all my bookmarks, etc. were still available, but, did have to do things like reset my home/startup page, etc.

However, main thing is, while have just been testing/trying this out for roundabout 10 minutes now, playing around with youTube, facebook mobile, and various google searches, etc., it does seem to have, possibly, stopped firefox from overloading/overclocking this windows 10 64-bit operating system instance, and also hasn't, thus far, made NVDA go all silent, etc.

In other words, just posting this here, in case any other guys want to give it a try, and, if it carries on cooperating for a while, then I will try something like reinstalling the webvisum extension first, since it's worked for me over a few years now, etc., and will definitely keep track of any other extensions that get installed, to just try keep track of if/when it reverts back to a form of go-slow...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"