Re: is there a short cut key for Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen (requires administrator privileges)

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

When i asked the person about what I read using narrator to sign in first on the windows log on screen then turning on nvda they gave the following answer below.

From my perspective, as someone who manages computer desktops, having the ability to turn NVDA on at the Windows log on screen would be incredibly useful.  One of the reasons is that in our environment the computers are shared and are set up identically.
There are so many different scenarios on how a public computer is setup up and what functionality is locked down, including
·         Automatically logged in with “full desktop” including Windows Search & all programs start menu
·         Automatically logged in with “kiosk” mode EG might just have a web browser running full screen, no desktop no keyboard shortcuts
·         Windows logon required - then any of the above type of desktop or a hybrid of the two
·         And of course full desktop PCs versus terminals running windows remote desktop sessions, or Citrix sessions, on a server
Getting NVDA to work in the above environments shouldn’t be too much of a challenge for IT departments if they are given the mandate - which is what you are all about doing. Gene nz

On 20/12/2018 10:24 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi guys

Just a curiosity question I know in the nvda settings under general there is the  setting in the general section.

called Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen (requires administrator privileges)  I was wondering if there is a short cut to turn it on or off.

or would NVDA have to have admin rights of which it may not  unless that box is checked ?

The reason I am asking this question is as follows

I was reading under a FAQ page  with both narrator and nvda installed on a network that on some certain systems you had to log into the windows log on screen with narrator then it would turn its self off then you could start up NVDA.

Is that because narrator would have some type of other privilege that nvda does not?

I asked the question to the person after I read it to the people involved.

But just wanted to find out from this side or if a shortcut could be assigned? It is on a public network so i am guessing it would be a security risk?

Gene nz