Re: Google's Gear Icon

Gene

The gear icon has been used for the tools menu in lots of places for years.  I believe you will find it in Internet Explorer probably going back to version 5.x and probably below.  I don't know if it particularly matters to designers if that makes much sense and I don't know if it does visually.  I would think a tools icon should be a tiny representation of some tools or of a tool chest but a gear is not a tool.

Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2016 5:47 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Google's Gear Icon

I agree! I much prefer text descriptions.

But as you know, almost everyone, e.g. Apple, Google, Microsoft really, really love the graphical user interface.

The gear symbol has become a cross platform annoyance for some of us, but many people look for it to adjust settings for Safari, Google, photography sites, chess sites...whatever.

I suppose gears are used to adjust many mechanical things like watches, etc, so the symbolism carried over to iconism.

Just my half-asleep thoughts.

Gary