Re: fore some reason nvda isn't talking when I'm using my keyboard

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

That sounds more like a memory issue than anything related to your storage. Windows these days isn't happy with less than 4GB of ram, and if you had less than that on that pc, it's no wonder it was slow, since windows had to swap all the time. I'd wager that if you upgraded the ram in that machine, it would run considerably better.

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018, Tyler Wood wrote:

What world is that in? lol. Unless you're referring to the surface pro 6, then it is about on parr with other laptops with solid state storage.

I mean, unless you want to go with a 1 tb spinning hard drive and in 2018, that's a hard sell.

I was using a computer recently that had a core i7-7820HQ (that's a quad core processor with 8 threads). It had a mechanical 1 terabyte hard drive, and it was made last year.

Browsing the web was so much slower than on a machine with a solid state drive. It shouldn't be - after all the web browser was already loaded - but it was truly painful. Restarting was just about as painful, to. Even comparing this to a cheap windows device with a solid state drive - even EMMC storage - and I truthfully can't recommend a mechanical hard drive these days. And I'm not even getting into general performance. Moving around the screen was painfully slow. Opening apps took far longer than a machine with a hard drive, even 4 or 5 years ago, used to. I'm not sure if it was the screen reader making performance that much worse, but it was similar to using a computer, back in the day, that had 256 mb of ram and ran windows xp. Browsing the web, while doable, was probably my biggest issue.

So, yes, while the surface go is relatively expensive when you increase the storage space, it comes with the benefit of having a solid state drive. In todays day and age, we think windows 10 is very light on resources. It most assuredly is not.