Re: fore some reason nvda isn't talking when I'm using my keyboard

molly the blind tech lover

My surface lags slightly sometimes, but it’s no big deal. I’ll probably upgrade my surface next year. For now I love it… Most of the time.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2018 7:17 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] fore some reason nvda isn't talking when I'm using my keyboard

I can’t comment on the Surface and I don’t know why the computer you describe was so slow.  I am using a laptop at the moment, as I write this message which I bought in 2011.  It was a reasonably fast machine for its time but nothing out of the ordinary.  I can load Chrome using a blank home page in about three seconds.  The New York Times Home Page loads in

about three seconds.  I can load Windows Live Mail in slightly less than two seconds.

It takes about twentyy seconds to get to the login screen when booting and ten or fifteen seconds to get to the desktop when I press enter to log in.

Computers using physical hard drives aren’t slow if they are reasonably fast machines.  And I’m using Windows 7, and many Windows 10 users say that Windows 10 is faster.

And as I said, if I use sleep, I can resume from sleep in two or three seconds.  I just opened Wordpad.  It took about two seconds.  If I open word starter, it takes a good deal longer. It takes about ten seconds.  But after you open Word, you work with documents.  It should take no meanikngfully different time regardless of mechanical or solid state drive to edit a document.

I’m not disputing that a SSD is faster.  I’m saying that for many users, I don’t think the faster time matters in any significant way.

Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2018 5:28 PM

That sounds more like a memory issue than anything related to your
storage.  Windows these days isn't happy with less than 4GB of ram, and if
you had less than that on that pc, it's no wonder it was slow, since
windows had to swap all the time.  I'd wager that if you upgraded the ram
in that machine, it would run considerably better.