Re: phonetic spelling

Tyler Spivey

You clearly didn't try pressing read word three times. Try that and see
what happens. You might also want to try read character twice. Both of
these should do what you want. Read line three times also does it.

On 12/27/2018 7:04 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
Hi all,

I thought there was a way to use object navigation to read letters using
the NATO phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, juliet etc) but I can't figure
out if I'm making that up! The only thing in the NVDA guide about
phonetic spellings is in regard to Chinese characters.

I know that using Num Pad 5 twice will spell out the word w-o-r-d and
three times coppies the word to the clipboard, but is there any way to
get the phonetic identification?

The two SAPI5 voices I like are Zira and Hazel ... Zira is my default
but I was struggling to tell whether a letter in somebody's name was a v
or a b ... I hoped to figure out how to get NVDA to say Victor or Bravo,
but without success. I solved the problem by switching to the Hazel
voice which has a clearer pronunciation difference between v and b, but
am just curious if there is a way to get the phonetic spelling if needed.

Thanks,

Giles