If you have to reformat and the system has been slept then shut down, then you probably have dammaged or will damage the drives or power unit.

I havn't had a drive go but I have had to reformat because windows wouldn't load, then the power unit smoked.

What does concern me with some of this is windows can wake itself up to update, but if something goes wrong during the update, then your update is lost, windows may not boot and you will have to reformat.

On 1/2/2019 5:12 PM, Isaac wrote:
2. It seems to me that it is completely backward that Restart causes a complete shutdown, sets a timer, and fires up the system from scratch while Shut Down does not. Well, it makes perfect since, restart is intended for updates and installing while shutdown with powercfg on is meant for fast booting especially from an ssd. ONe thing I don't understand however is if the machine is turned off from the shutdown with powercfg on if power is lost is there a problem or when the boot starts has the system hybernation file that has been made still access?
----- Original Message -----
From: Kwork
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 9:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Highbernating windows 10

Thank you Brian. That does explain things clearly, and gives me a lesson in what fast start really is. Off to make sure it's disabled.

Travis

On 12/30/2018 9:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 10:03 PM, Kwork wrote:

why do you not recommend fast startup to be checked?
There are a couple of reasons, the last of which is the most important:

1. When one does a "shut down" on a system, what meaning does that generally carry? Most people think shut off/down, completely, and starting from scratch when it is powered up again. Fast startup directly violates that concept.

2. It seems to me that it is completely backward that Restart causes a complete shutdown, sets a timer, and fires up the system from scratch while Shut Down does not.

3. Fast Startup is a special form of Hibernation. Under normal Hibernation both the operating system state and all user states are written out to disk and reloaded when the system is powered up again. Fast Startup causes only the operating system state to be written out to disk in a special hibernation file and that is reloaded when the system is powered up again. As this state gets written out, over, and over and over again over a span of days, weeks, and months there will be corruptions that occur in the hibernation file. Almost invariably, at some point, a collection of little corruptions form a confluence where the entire system becomes unstable when it is restarted. I have witnessed this on two occasions myself, and the behaviors displayed were so bizarre that I simply could not figure out what the cause was, initially. Eventually, after a forced Restart rather that Shutdown/Power Up cycle, everything went back to normal.

I just cannot see how a few seconds to a minute or two of time saved at system start time is worth having to deal with the probability of this sort of problem. All the more so if a system has an SSD as the OS drive rather than an HDD. I would far rather have a complete, fresh, start where Windows 10 is loaded again from disk as it is when Restart is used than to have it come back from hibernation again and again. This is all the more so since I do not power down my system frequently, preferring to allow Windows 10 to have the "inactive hours" to do the updates I delay it from doing if they get configured during active hours and require a system restart.

When I shut down a system I intend, and absolutely want, it to shut down. I do not want it to hibernate the OS state. If I want hibernation I will intentionally choose it, and I want the user state(s) to be saved, too.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back