Re: NVDA elequence question

mikolaj holysz <miki123211@...>

If a list allows such discussions, it is opened to legal liability.  It is illegal to use such programs.  Promoting their use is illegal and lists that allow it may be shut down by the owner of whatever list serve the list is on and, though very unlikely, the list could have legal action taken against it by the owner of whatever intellectual property is being used illegally.
Can I ask for a source of that info, please? This is definitely untrue in most countries. An admin is not and will never be responsible for what it's users post, if that weren't true, no one would dare to make web 2.0 websites (like Facebook, Wordpress etc). The only responsibility of the admin is to remove content from their website if they get an official letter from a copyright owner stating that this content is illegal, with all the necessary statements. I don't know why many admins in the blind community think otherwise. Even so, no law can prohibit discussing such content if it's not shared. Discussing how much such a content is worth is, in most cases, allowed. That's why the /r/piracy Reddit flourishes and Reddit itself doesn't do anything about it. They don't have to. THey have a strict "no posting of content" policy. They only put general links to websites, not even direct links to content, and they're perfectly fine, even though most of that subreddit consists of threads like "is downloading xxx from torrents safe" or "on what website can I get books in language xxx for free". Discussing technical processes used to make cracks or avoid drm might be illegal, though. If there's someone who can be sued, it's definitely the developer of such cracked software, and probably the one who put it there, maybe the one who posted the link but that's questionable.

Of course the information presented above should not be considered legal advice, and actually doing some reading is recommended. Doing some reading is always recommended, blindly repeating what others have said never does us much good, and actually that's what many website owners do, that's why we have that Eloquence and GDPR dramas in the first place. Most of that is wildly unnecessary. I personally think that admins (of websites in general) should do as little as the law allows them to, respond to whatever they're obliged to respond and not overdo it out of fear.