Re: NVDA elequence question

Gene

I don't know if others on list know more about the law in the United States.  I do know that many lists have been shut down in the last year or two for illegally sharing material such as books and movies.  The owner of this list serve has done so.  I don't know who else may have, but such is not allowed on this list serve and probably elsewhere.

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA elequence question

> If a list allows such discussions, it is opened to legal liability.  It
> is illegal to use such programs.  Promoting their use is illegal and
> lists that allow it may be shut down by the owner of whatever list serve
> the list is on and, though very unlikely, the list could have legal
> action taken against it by the owner of whatever intellectual property
> is being used illegally.
Can I ask for a source of that info, please? This is definitely untrue
in most countries. An admin is not and will never be responsible for
what it's users post, if that weren't true, no one would dare to make
web 2.0 websites (like Facebook, Wordpress etc). The only responsibility
of the admin is to remove content from their website if they get an
official letter from a copyright owner stating that this content is
illegal, with all the necessary statements. I don't know why many admins
in the blind community think otherwise. Even so, no law can prohibit
discussing such content if it's not shared. Discussing how much such a
content is worth is, in most cases, allowed. That's why the /r/piracy
Reddit flourishes and Reddit itself doesn't do anything about it. They
don't have to. THey have a strict "no posting of content" policy. They
only put general links to websites, not even direct links to content,
and they're perfectly fine, even though most of that subreddit consists
of threads like "is downloading xxx from torrents safe" or "on what
website can I get books in language xxx for free". Discussing technical
processes used to make cracks or avoid drm might be illegal, though. If
there's someone who can be sued, it's definitely the developer of such
cracked software, and probably the one who put it there, maybe the one
who posted the link but that's questionable.

Of course the information presented above should not be considered legal
advice, and actually doing some reading is recommended. Doing some
reading is always recommended, blindly repeating what others have said
never does us much good, and actually that's what many website owners
do, that's why we have that Eloquence and GDPR dramas in the first
place. Most of that is wildly unnecessary. I personally think that
admins (of websites in general) should do as little as the law allows
them to, respond to whatever they're obliged to respond and not overdo
it out of fear.