Re: Groups.io accessibility enhancements.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 11:51 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I saw a report recently that is still saying that expertise is still thin on the ground and will remain so as long as people who make authoring tools and databases for web sites with scant regard for blind access. Indeed I'd go as far as say that even sighted people are getting fed up with clever effects and stuff when they really want to get a job done fast and be out of there.
With regard to your observation on sighted people, I'd say it's very largely accurate and well-characterized by this quotation, which has long been a favorite:

                  A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.

                                          ~ Bill Gray

With regard to the former, it's still very largely true.   Accessibility is now taught in formal courses, but even with that, one has to realize the visual nature of the medium of text itself and, equally importantly, the transitory nature of a lot of content out there.   There's always going to be a lot of stuff that's inaccessible or minimally accessible because it's creation was "quick and dirty" and its lifespan brief.   I can't imagine a lot of accessibility thought going in to, say, the promo websites for specific movies prior to their wide releases, and those vanish almost as quickly as they appear.

My hope, actually, is that accessibility will become the standard over time for sites that are both pretty permanent in nature and that require a lot of user interaction.  Though things move in that direction and are continuing to do so, the whole world of web coding is still in a constant state of flux and poor screen reader developers are doomed to constantly be playing catch up for as far ahead in time as I can project at the moment.

What constantly shocks me is that many (perhaps most, but I'm not doing any exhaustive checks) state and federal agencies have not done anything really significant over time, even with the ADA in force, to make their stuff accessible.  And I still firmly believe that it will only be because of laws that accessibility will become more widespread.  A lot of people won't do anything they don't have to do (and some ignore that).

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back