Important announcement about Windows 10 App Essentials add-on: version 16.06, source code repository change, opening up to wider contributions

Dear members of the NVDA community, Microsoft staff, Windows 10 users, developers of universal apps and others:

Ever since the launch of Windows 10 back in July 2015, one of the questions some users asked was its accessibility and potential of universal apps. As a Windows Insider and a NVDA contributor, I was fascinated by what Windows 10 can do and have resolved to keep an eye on its development, particularly overall accessibility and accessibility of universal apps.

One of the fruits of this was launch of Windows 10 App Essentials, an add-on for NVDA that provided needed fixes and enhancements for users of Windows 10, as well as provide workarounds for various universal apps. The goals of this add-on was not only to showcase what NVDA screen reader can do in terms of committing to continued cooperation with Windows 10, but also to raise awareness of accessibility issues in various universal apps such as Twitter, Feedback Hub, Bank of America and others. The latest version (16.06) includes preparation work for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, adds basic support for Bank of America app and others.

But there is a more important news to talk about: effective June 15, 2016, the source code repository for this add-on will change. As there is no translations support for this add-on, I felt best to move the source code out of the community add-ons repository (hosted at Bitbucket) and move it to GitHub, a platform that was well received by the development community and to open up for wider contributions via pull requests and issue tracking. Also, using GitHub means aligning development strategies with NV Access, thereby allowing contributions to flow back and forth between NVDA Core and this add-on (and others).

The new repository address is:

https://github.com/josephsl/wintenapps

The old address (Bitbucket one) will be removed no later than June 30, 2016.

So with the new address, I (Joseph Lee, the author of this add-on) would like to open up this add-on for wider contribution from the NVDA community, screen reader users and developers, Universal Windows Platform developers, Microsoft staff and others. Please remember this: together, we can make Windows 10 and universal apps accessible, appealing and truly universal.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Joseph

Joseph S. Lee

Student (Communication Studies), Los Angeles City College

Translator, code contributor and community add-ons reviewer, NVDA screen reader project