Re: how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

MAX <max@...>

Thank you.

I'm no longer losing sleep over virtual recorder but the command line hints you have given are so potentially useful that I'm going to save this message. These commands date all the way back to the original Microsoft D O S. I didn't know MS was still supporting them.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 9:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Dear Max & List:

It could be you created the recorder folder inside another folder.
Try finding it by doing this:

Press windows key to get the search box. Type cmd: windows will say command prompt. Press enter.
Type cd c:\
Type dir and either the folder name or the recorder program name followed by /s

Press enter.

Example:
Dir virtual-recorder/s followed by enter.

This will search your entire hard drive for the elusive folder.

If found, it gives the path to the folder.

If windows will not execute the program by just using the program name, you can run it by providing the complete path to the program.

When you run the program, see if the setup for it will let you provide a desktop ikon for it to make running it again easier.

When finished with the command prompt, either type exit with the enter key or close the window with alt plus f4.

Windows knows many command-line commands such as dir, cd, Del, rd, xcopy, type and attrib; I have used these commands to quickly save my bacon a few times!

Happy program hunting. If there is no trace of the program on your drive, just install it again!
Brian K. Lingard

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of Chris Mullins
Sent: January 5, 2019 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Hi
Are you sure you ran the install version? There is a non-install version as well which I gave up on because Windows Defender kept moving it into quarantine. Under W10, I downloaded and installed the install version and have been using it without problems. The installed version definitely shows up in the list of installed programs, and creates a desktop item. You are better using the install version anyway as some of the features cannot be used in the non-install version.

Cheers
Chris
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of MAX
Sent: 4 January 2019 21:39

Well, I will bet lots of others are having the same problem but nobody wants to be the first. OK, I will be that person. The virtual recorder install program did not create an entry in the start menu or a desktop icon or an icon in the applications bar as mentioned in the readme file. I tried to start it with the command line but that has been changed and I do not know how to access it anymore. When I had it running after the installation I made a test recording but the directory where it said it put the recording does not show up in windows explorer. Maybe I should forget it and find another program.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I have Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 3:28 AM

Yes but virtual recorder does not involve fiddling with sound card settings and is free so you can use the editor of choice.
Brian

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.