Re: how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

MAX <max@...>

Yes, that’s what it’s called.  I couldn’t think of it.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Did you use 7zip to extract it to a folder let's say on your desktop. You never run exe files from zips, at least I don't.

On 5 Jan 2019, at 17:03, MAX wrote:

After I downloaded and ran the zip file I had the unzipping program on my screen.  I pressed the extract button.  That showed the virtual recorder.exe file.  When I ran it I got the recorder dialog on the screen but I could only use it once because after I closed everything I couldn’t find the exe file again.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Since the link to the installed version came from the same site, this was, presumably, an installed version modified by Carlos.  I didn't recall there being one so whatever I may have said was regarding the version direct from the developer which evidently has accessibility problems.

As far as portable programs are concerned, I don't know why you had problems with the portable program but I prefer to use portable versions of programs when available.  Did you unzip the program before using it?  For those trying this or other portable programs who haven't used them before, if they come as a zip file, you must unzip the program before using it. 

I generally prefer to use portable programs if available.  For one thing, they are portable.  I can simply copy the folder onto a thumb drive and place a copy onto another computer if I want to use it there.  No changes are made to the system.  I always use portable versions of firefox because if the copy I'm using becomes corrupted, I can keep a backup copy of the program and simply replace the corrupted program with a copy of the backup program.  I don't have to worry about maintenance or creating a new profile or anything else.  And, as I said, I can copy it to another computer when I wish.

In this case, there may be one or more available features in the installed version so someone might wat to use the installed version.  I don't know what those features might be and they aren't important to me because the portable version does everything I want.  I suspect that if there are more available features they would be something minor such as being able to specify where files are saved.

Gene

----- Original message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 1:11 PM

Now that’s more like it.  It was the usual install experience with location, start menu, and desk top icon.  You scared me off from the installed version with all that talk about bugs.  I did a little recording and I could find the files and play them back.  Ten minutes after two and all is well.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 11:48 AM

I sent two links yesterday, one for each version.  Here is the message I sent last night:

Gene

Here is a link to the portable version of the program which is still available from the site where Carlos hosted useful resources.  The vollunteer who hosted the programs for Carlos is still doing so.
http://opopanax.net/download/Virtual_Recorder_Portable.zip
Presumably, this is the latest version.

There is an installable version, also, I assume, modified by Carlos.  I don't know if the installable version does anything the portable version doesn't do.  Perhaps it allows you to specify where you want files saved. 

Also, because of the problems a user reported with the installed version, presumably from the developer's site, it may be that some people have problems with the installed version that won't with the portable. version

Here is the link for the installable version from the same site:
http://opopanax.net/download/Setup_VirtualRecorder.exe

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 11:03 AM

How do I, or anyone for that matter, tell the difference between the install and the noninstall versions.  I get it.  The noninstall version just copies the files but doesn't register the program with windows.  That must have been the one I downloaded.  I have dumped the message with the URL so will someone please send me a good URL?

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 4:43 AM

Hi
Are you sure you ran the install version?  There is a non-install version as well which I gave up on because Windows Defender kept moving it into quarantine.  Under W10, I downloaded and installed the install version and have been using it without problems.  The installed version definitely shows up in the list of installed programs, and creates a desktop item.  You are better using the install version anyway as some of the features cannot be used in the non-install version.

Cheers
Chris
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of MAX
Sent: 4 January 2019 21:39

Well, I'll bet lots of others are having the same problem but nobody wants to be the first.  OK, I'll be that person.  The virtual recorder install program didn't create an entry in the start menu or a desk top icon or an icon in the applications bar as mentioned in the readme file.  I tried to start it with the command line but that has been changed and I don't know how to access it anymore.  When I had it running after the installation I made a test recording but the directory where it said it put the recording doesn't show up in windows explorer.  Maybe I should forget it and find another program.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 3:28 AM

Yes but virtual recorder does not involve fiddling with sound card settings and is free so you can use the editor of choice.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 6:27 AM

> Goldwave would be your best bet. In its microphone section it has a
> loopback feature that will allow you to point it to your sound card
> and record from it.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sue J. Ward" <groovy41@...>
> To: "nvda groups" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:11 PM
> Subject: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic
> plugged in sure could use some help.
>
>
>>  Hello. Does anyone know of any audio recording software that works
>> with NVDA with no mic attached to the computer? I want to record a
>> lot of internal stuff from my computer with no mic attached. I have
>> tried audacity with everything they suggested when reading the user
>> guide to make it work no such luck since am using windows 10. Lets
>> just say if I want to record a radio station or anything from my
>> computer what type of program could I use with NVDA? I have heard of
>> total recorder and gold wave would those programs work since I do
>> have everything up to date and I did check in the recording section
>> and I have no stereo mics on my sound card. Have any of you used
>> sound tap or any apps with in the app store to get anything to work
>> with NVDA? I have tried everything with the line in jack nothing. Or
>> maybe I am not setting it up right. Any suggestions would be excellent. Thank you.
>> ____________________________________________________________
>> Top Gut Doctor Warns: "Throw Out This Vegetable Immediately"
>> unhealthpublications.com
>> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c2edd115b38d5d104ca5st01duc
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.