Re: speaking passwords instead of star

Ann Byrne

Sometimes you just need to be sure you typed it in right. It's easy enough to silence when nobody else should hear. Really, if you are near other people, it's polite to wear head phones, in which case nobody would hear it anyway.

At 10:27 AM 1/9/2019, you wrote:

Well, I have a program that is very slugish about entering passwords so I want them spoken aloud to know there inputted as this particular program doesn't say star or anything.
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:@britechguy>Brian Vogel
To: <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>nvda@nvda.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] speaking passwords instead of star

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 11:20 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

especially in a public place like a library.

I doubt that many do this, but any that do have no one to blame but themselves when the inevitable account compromises come.

Passwords (or pass phrases) belong in two areas: One's own head and/or a password manager program that encrypts the file containing the actual passwords.

All the reasons that have ever been given for reading them aloud when typed ring entirely hollow to me.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back