Re: speaking passwords instead of star

Giles Turnbull

I have a related problem. I programmed the circle symbol that is used in place of the asterisk into the NVDA dictionary so that it says star star star star for a 4 digit PIN. After a recent Windows update I suspect they must have changed the circle character used to obscure the password ... if I left cursor back a character it says "circle" but I can't copy the circle to program it into the default dictionary so that NVDA speaks "star" again!

Does anybody have any suggestions about which circle character is being used? I tried running speech viewer on the logon screen but that didn't record anything either with regards to the password symbol.

Giles