Re: Minimum Specs for NVDA with Other Intensive Applications

Antony Stone

I disagree with "needs to have an SSD". It's nice, but it's not essential.
It improves startup time for the machine as a whole, and loading time for
applications, but doesn't affect how well applications run once they're loaded.

I agree with "as much RAM as you can afford / will fit". I'd say that is the
most important aspect of getting a machine to run well. Also, it's essential
that you have a 64-bit machine and a 64-bit version of Windows, otherwise the
machine simply will not use more than 3Gbytes of RAM no matter how much is
fitted.

A CPU with several cores will help with running multiple applications - more
so than a particularly fast CPU.

So my list of priorities would be:

1. 64 bit CPU and 64 bit edition of Windows
2. Lots of RAM
3. Multi-core CPU
4. Fast CPU
5. SSD instead of HDD

Hope that helps,

Antony.

On Friday 11 January 2019 at 11:52:42, Brian K. Lingard wrote:

Dear Noah & List:

Your laptop needs SSD not a mechanical hard disk with 8, 16 or 32 GB RAM.
32 GB is best if you plan to do video and/or audio editing & recording.
The PC at your school may have as little as one GB RAM and a slow CPU.
Hiving the laptop adequate RAM ids, more important that high-performance
CPU. Look for a laptop with a fast, but not necessarily Intel I8 speed. An
Intel I55 or six CPU should work fine. You consume CPU cycles a lot if you
do sound or video editing, recalculate mammoth spreadsheets and run many
programs concurrently.

School computers may have as little as one or two GB RRAM and slow CPUs.
They are also several years old