From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of Antony Stone
Sent: January 11, 2019 6:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Minimum Specs for NVDA with Other Intensive Applications

I disagree with "needs to have an SSD". It is nice, but it is not essential.
It improves start up time for the machine as a whole, and loading time for applications, but does not affect how well applications run once they are loaded.

I agree with "as much RAM as you can afford / will fit". I would say that is the most important aspect of getting a machine to run well. In addition, it is essential that you have a 64-bit machine and a 64-bit version of Windows, otherwise the machine simply will not use more than 3Gbytes of RAM no matter how much is fitted.

A CPU with several cores will help with running multiple applications - more so than a particularly fast CPU.

Therefore, my list of priorities would be:

1. 64-bit CPU and 64-bit edition of Windows 2. Lots of RAM 3. Multi-core CPU 4. Fast CPU 5. SSD instead of HDD

Hope that helps,

Antony.

On Friday 11 January 2019 at 11:52:42, Brian K. Lingard wrote:

Dear Noah & List:

Your laptop needs SSD not a mechanical hard disk with 8, 16 or 32 GB RAM.
32 -GB is best if you plan to do video and/or audio editing & recording.
The PC at your school may have as little as one GB RAM and a slow CPU.
Hiving the laptop adequate RAM ids, more important that
High-performance CPU. Look for a laptop with a fast, but not
Necessarily Intel I8 speed. An Intel I55 or six CPU should work fine.
You consume many CPU cycles if you do sound or video editing,
recalculate mammoth spreadsheets and run many programs concurrently.

School computers may have as little as one or two GB RRAM and slow CPUs.
They are also several years old